MCFADIN, DAVID HUTCHINSON
MCFADIN, DAVID HUTCHINSON (1816–1896). David Hutchinson McFadin, soldier, public servant, and pioneer, was born in Montgomery, Tennessee, on May 22, 1816, and moved in 1828 to what later became Liberty County, Texas. He left home at age fifteen and was employed in the stock business until the Texas Revolution. McFadin served in the Texas army from March 2 to September 2, 1836, and participated in the battle of San Jacinto. After the war he went back into the stock business, served as sheriff of Jefferson County, and married Jerusha Dyches on March 19, 1838. In 1846 the McFadin and Dyches families moved to the vicinity of Circleville, on the San Gabriel River in Williamson County, and were among the earliest settlers in the county. McFadin was elected to the first group of county commissioners in 1848 and served in that capacity for the next twelve years. By 1850 he was one of the wealthiest farmers in the county, and in 1859 he built a mill near Circleville. He opposed secession and took no part in the Civil War. After the war he was a member of the Grange and the Farmers' Alliance.qqv McFadin also belonged to the Christian Church. His first wife died in 1880, leaving him with at least three children, and his second wife, the widow of attorney James Armstrong, died in 1892. McFadin died on August 7, 1896, and was buried in the McFadin family cemetery one mile east of Centerville.
Sam Houston Dixon and Louis Wiltz Kemp, The Heroes of San Jacinto (Houston: Anson Jones, 1932). History of Texas, Together with a Biographical History of Milam, Williamson, Bastrop, Travis, Lee and Burleson Counties (Chicago: Lewis, 1893). Clara Stearns Scarbrough, Land of Good Water: A Williamson County History (Georgetown, Texas: Williamson County Sun Publishers, 1973).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Mark Odintz, "MCFADIN, DAVID HUTCHINSON," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fmc49), accessed August 30, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.