Bookmark and Share
Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn

NIXON, GEORGE ANTONIO

NIXON, GEORGE ANTONIO (?–?). George Antonio (or Anthony) Nixon, land commissioner for the Galveston Bay and Texas Land Company, which sold land on the empresario grants of David G. Burnet, Joseph Vehlein, and Lorenzo de Zavala,qqv arrived in Nacogdoches in June 1834 to issue titles to new settlers who had bought land in those grants. By the end of 1835 he had issued more than 1,000 titles. Little is known of him before or after that year. Capt. Peyton S. Wyatt spoke of him as Maj. George A. Nixon, and he was chairman of the Committee of Vigilance and Safety in Nacogdoches in December 1835 (see COMMITTEES OF SAFETY AND CORRESPONDENCE). He was still there in 1841, when Nicholas Adolphus Sterne mentioned him in his diary. Presumably Nixon spent the last years of his life in Jasper County, for his will was probated there. No county records of his life or death survived the courthouse fire of October 28, 1849, however. A reference in January 1854 to an incomplete original probate lists the bulk of his estate as having been eleven leagues of land on the Brazos river above Fort Tenoxtitlán.

BIBLIOGRAPHY: 

Claude Elliott, "Alabama and the Texas Revolution," Southwestern Historical Quarterly 50 (January 1947). Galveston Bay and Texas Land Company Circular, 1834, Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, University of Texas at Austin. Nacogdoches Committee of Vigilance and Safety Records, Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, University of Texas at Austin. George Antonio Nixon Papers, Special Collections, University of Texas at Arlington Library. Ralph Smith, The Life of Alexander Horton (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1936).

Madeleine Martin

Citation

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.

Madeleine Martin, "NIXON, GEORGE ANTONIO," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fni07), accessed April 24, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.