- JOIN | SUPPORT TSHA
NUNEZ DE HARO, MIGUEL
NÚÑEZ DE HARO, MIGUEL (1687–1755). Miguel Núñez de Haro, born in 1687, took the Franciscan habit in Jalisco province (Mexico) in 1706. Still a student for the priesthood in 1711, he was transferred to the missionary College of Nuestra Señora Guadalupe de Zacatecasqv and was ordained the following year. He served there as a substitute consultor from 1712 to 1716. While serving at San Juan Bautista mission on the Rio Grande in 1717, Núñez, accompanied by fifteen soldiers, undertook a relief expedition to the East Texas missions founded the previous year. The supply train, after setting out in December, found its way barred by the flooding Trinity River. The friar sent all but four of the soldiers back to San Juan Bautista. With those four he stayed at the river until the end of March 1718 waiting for the flood to subside. Still unable to cross, he cached the supplies and dispatched a letter for the East Texas missionaries with an Indian. The supplies later were recovered by a second expedition from San Juan Bautista, conducted by Fray Pedro Muñoz. Traveling toward San Juan Bautista, Núñez's party met Governor Martín de Alarcón's company west of the Medina River, traveling in the opposite direction. Núñez turned about and went with Alarcón for the founding of San Antonio de Valero Mission and San Antonio de Béxar Presidio. He may have continued with Alarcón, after the governor returned to San Juan Bautista for additional supplies, to the East Texas missions. If so, he probably returned to San Antonio following the "Chicken War" of 1719, when the East Texas friars withdrew out of fear of a widespread French invasion. He officiated in two baptisms at San Antonio in December 1719. When Fray Antonio Margil de Jesús founded San José y San Miguel de Aguayo Mission in February 1720, he assigned Núñez as one of its two friars. Núñez, placed in charge at San José a year later, remained there, except for brief absences, for more than three decades. He was responsible for the mission's development. He directed two moves, the final one, about 1740, to the site now in San Antonio Missions National Historical Park. There he built the mission's first stone structure. Fr. Núñez is said to have died while singing a hymn on October 18, 1755. He was buried at Mission San José, but his remains were moved to the common cemetery of the friars at the College of Guadalupe de Zacatecas.
BIBLIOGRAPHY:Benedict Leutenegger and Marion A. Habig, The Zacatecan Missionaries in Texas, 1716–1834 (Austin: Texas Historical Survey Committee, 1973).
Image Use Disclaimer
All copyrighted materials included within the Handbook of Texas Online are in accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107 related to Copyright and “Fair Use” for Non-Profit educational institutions, which permits the Texas State Historical Association (TSHA), to utilize copyrighted materials to further scholarship, education, and inform the public. The TSHA makes every effort to conform to the principles of fair use and to comply with copyright law.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Handbook of Texas Online, Robert S. Weddle, "Nunez De Haro, Miguel," accessed April 24, 2017, http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fnu10.
Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.