PAGE, CHARLES HENRY
PAGE, CHARLES HENRY (1876–1957). Charles H. Page, architect, was born in 1876 in St. Louis, Missouri, to where his parents, Charles Henry and Mary Ann Page, had immigrated from England. His father was a mason and contractor. The family moved to Austin, Texas, in 1886; Page's father worked on the construction of the Capitol. Page was trained in architecture in the office of the local builder-architect Burt McDonald and began practice at the age of nineteen in the firm of Makin and Page. He was in independent practice as C. H. Page, Jr., in 1898 but was soon joined by his brother Louis. His first major commission was for the first Austin National Bank building on Congress Avenue. In 1903 he received the commission for the Texas Building at the St. Louis World's Fair. During his more than sixty years of practice Page's firm grew substantially in size and prestige and designed hundreds of schools and courthouses. Among his varied works of interest is the art deco Travis County Courthouse (1930–36) in Austin. Page died in Austin on October 5, 1957, leaving his firm, C. H. Page and Son, to Charles Henry Page, Jr.
Hank Todd Smith, ed., Austin, Its Architects and Architecture (Austin Chapter, American Institute of Architects, 1986). Roxanne Williamson, Austin, Texas: An American Architectural History (San Antonio: Trinity University Press, 1973).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Roxanne Williamson, "PAGE, CHARLES HENRY," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fpa76), accessed November 29, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.
Get Texas history everyday,
with day by day
Each day's email tells a little bit more of the story of Texas and links to our collection of more than 27,000 articles