ROGERS, AUGUSTUS H.
ROGERS, AUGUSTUS H. (1839–?). Augustus H. Rogers was born in 1839. He was mustered into service with the Fourteenth Texas Infantry on January 16, 1862, at Camp Murrah in Pittsburg, Texas, in present-day Camp County. He was twenty-three years old and received the rank of captain. On May 3, 1862, the Fourteenth Texas Infantry was officially organized with nine companies and was given the name Clark's Texas Infantry. That same day Augustus H. Rogers received a promotion to the rank of major. In the summer of 1862 Major Rogers and the men of the regiment were ordered to march to Little Rock, Arkansas. The Fourteenth Texas Infantry remained in Arkansas until April 1863. Rogers became ill with typhoid fever in November 1862 and received a sixty-day furlough by order of Maj. Gen. John G. Walker, commander of Walker's Texas Division. He returned to the regiment by May 1863 and was present for the battle of Milliken's Bend on June 7, 1863, in Louisiana.
Rogers never fully recovered from the effects of typhoid fever. By January 1864 he was relieved from active duty and spent months in the hospital. A letter dated July 15, 1864, from the medical examining board of the Fourteenth Texas Infantry detailed Major Rogers's problems. The medical board found him, "permanently disabled" and that he could not "perform duty in any branch of the military service because of a broken constitution, associated with chronic hepatitis and diarrhea." The medical board recommended that Rogers be relieved of duty, but that did not officially happen until October 19, 1864.
After the war, Rogers returned to Pittsburg, Texas, where he owned a town lot valued at $500. In 1866 he owned 320 acres of land in the region valued at $1,334 as well as another 116 acres valued at $778. It is unclear what happened to Rogers after 1866.
Joseph H. Crute, Jr., Units of the Confederate States Army (Midlothian, Virginia: Derwent, 1987).
Image Use Disclaimer
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
Uploaded on April 11, 2011. Modified on May 26, 2011. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.