SCOTT, WILLIAM (1784–1837). William Scott, one of Stephen F. Austin's Old Three Hundred colonists, was born in Berkeley County, Virginia, in 1784 and married Mary Hanna there on December 14, 1803. They had five children. Scott may have served in the War of 1812. He lived in Wayne County, Kentucky, and spent time in Louisiana. He arrived in Texas before August 19, 1824, when he received title to two leagues and a labor of land in what became Harris County. He located his headright on the east bank of the San Jacinto River in view of Morgan's Point, built a home known as Point Pleasant at the site, and established a gristmill, cotton gin, and boat landing. He was appointed second lieutenant in the colonial militia in August 1824 and in December of that year petitioned for appointment of a surveyor for the San Jacinto district. In 1827 Scott quarreled with Dr. Johnson Calhoun Hunter, and each petitioned Austin for redress against the other. Scott bought a schooner in 1825, probably the same boat that Austin rented from him in June 1827. Scott commanded the schooner Stephen F. Austin at Anahuac in 1832 and in April 1836 offered the Texas government the use of his sloop, the Fourth of July, provided that his son assume command. Scott was elected captain of the Lynchburg Volunteers in September 1835 and contributed the blue silk used in making one of the first Lone Star flags for Texas. He was with the army in the siege of Bexar in November of that year. Emily Margaret Austin Perry, Lorenzo de Zavala, and others took refuge at the Scott home before disembarking for the United States in April of 1836. Scott was scheduled to appear in court for attacking two neighbors thought to be Tories but died at Galveston Bay on October 9, 1837, before his trial.
William Scott of the Old Three Hundred was probably not the William R. Scott who was chief justice of Brazoria County. The Kemp papers mention several other William Scotts, including one who had land in Matagorda County and one awarded land in San Augustine County.
Image Use Disclaimer
All copyrighted materials included within the Handbook of Texas Online are in accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107 related to Copyright and “Fair Use” for Non-Profit educational institutions, which permits the Texas State Historical Association (TSHA), to utilize copyrighted materials to further scholarship, education, and inform the public. The TSHA makes every effort to conform to the principles of fair use and to comply with copyright law.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Handbook of Texas Online, Diana J. Kleiner, "Scott, William," accessed September 26, 2016, http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fsc28.
Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.