Bookmark and Share
Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn

SCHWARZ, EDWIN G.

SCHWARZ, EDWIN G. (1894–1962). Edwin G. Schwarz, pediatrician, was born on June 20, 1894, in Lockhart, Texas, the son of Leo and Selma (Weinbaum) Schwarz. He attended schools in Lockhart, Dallas, and Palestine, and received a medical degree from the University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston in 1916. He completed his internship at Bellevue Hospital in New York City and his residency at the Cleveland City Hospital in Ohio. He was a United States Army Medical Corps captain during World War I. When Schwarz established a pediatric practice in 1919 in Fort Worth, he became the first physician there to limit his practice to that specialty. He organized the Children's Clinic of the Fort Worth Relief Association, which later became the Children's Clinic of John Peter Smith Hospital. He started the Baby Hospital, which became Fort Worth Children's Hospital, and organized the first day nursery in Fort Worth. Schwarz served as chief of staff for Cook Memorial Children's Hospital, president of the Fort Worth Pediatric Association and the Texas Pediatric Society, and state chairman of the American Academy of Pediatrics. In 1956 he received the Gold-Headed Cane Award from the Tarrant County Medical Society, the highest honor bestowed by that group of physicians. In 1959 he received the annual award of the National Conference of Christians and Jews for his service to Fort Worth children. Schwarz was a Mason, a Rotarian, and a member of Temple Beth El Congregation and B'nai B'rith. In 1923 he married Annette Lederman, and they had two sons. Schwarz died in Fort Worth on October 15, 1962.

BIBLIOGRAPHY: 

Fort Worth Star-Telegram, October 16, 1962. Texas State Journal of Medicine, December 1962.

Chester R. Burns

Citation

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.

Chester R. Burns, "SCHWARZ, EDWIN G.," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fsc64), accessed July 13, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.