Members Only Area
Bookmark and Share
sidebar menu icon
free alamo ebook


SMITH, FELIX EZELL (1831–1891). Felix Ezell Smith, legislator, was born in Lynchburg, Tennessee, on August 10, 1831, the son of William Stark and Nancy A. (Roundtree) Smith. In 1851 he moved to Texas and began farming near Austin. From June 1863 to the end of the Civil War he served as a first lieutenant in the Confederate forces in the Rio Grande district under John S. Ford. Smith was a justice of the peace and a county commissioner of Travis County. He represented the county in the Fourteenth, Sixteenth, Eighteenth, Nineteenth, and Twenty-first legislatures. As a legislator he supported an endowment fund for a state university system and introduced a bill for building a new capitol. He was a Mason. He married Mary S. Mann on October 23, 1856; they had twelve children. Smith died at his home at Bluff Springs on February 5, 1891.


History of Texas, Together with a Biographical History of Milam, Williamson, Bastrop, Travis, Lee and Burleson Counties (Chicago: Lewis, 1893). E. W. Swindells, A Legislative Manual for the State of Texas (2 vols., Austin, 1879–83). Vertical Files, Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, University of Texas at Austin.


The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.

"SMITH, FELIX EZELL," Handbook of Texas Online (, accessed July 06, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.