STITH, MACLIN S.
STITH, MACLIN S. (1813–ca. 1861). Maclin S. Stith, Wharton County judge and planter, was born in Virginia in 1813. In 1846 he served as chief justice of Wharton County and in 1847 as Preston postmaster. He developed three plantations, including Lalla Rookh, 1,597 acres on the site of present Boling; Hidalgo, an additional 1,800 acres near Iago; and Oakland, 800 acres near Burr. In 1850 Stith had property valued at $14,450 and sixty-nine slaves; in 1860 he had 118 slaves and 1,160 acres of improved land. In that year he produced 6,000 bushels of corn and 520 bales of cotton. In 1861 when Texas joined the Confederate States of America, Home Guard units were created and Stith became Captain M. S. Stith of the 26th Infantry, Wharton County Home Guard #3 Beat, for the Waterville area. He died around 1861 on the return from a wagon journey to take community cotton to market at Brownsville, more than 300 miles away. According to local sources, slaves made him a coffin from lumber bought in Brownsville and returned him to Wharton County with all the money from the cotton sale.
Annie Lee Williams, A History of Wharton County (Austin: Von Boeckmann-Jones, 1964). Ralph A. Wooster, "Wealthy Texans, 1860," Southwestern Historical Quarterly 71 (October 1967).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Diana J. Kleiner, "STITH, MACLIN S.," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fstah), accessed October 09, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Modified on October 24, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.