TARLETON, JOHN (ca. 1808–1895). John Tarleton, businessman and endower of Tarleton State University, was born in White Mountain, Vermont, near the New Hampshire line in November 1808 (although one account gives 1811 as the date). He was orphaned at the age of seven and lived with a widowed aunt in Vermont until he was thirteen, when he left home carrying only a scant supply of clothing in a bag slung across his shoulder. He went from place to place before stopping eventually at Knoxville, Tennessee, where he taught school for a time and later secured employment in the Cowan-Dickerson mercantile firm; he worked there for about forty years. During this time he came into possession of many bounty warrants that had been issued to veterans of the War of 1812. In 1860 or 1861 he "went west" and redeemed thousands of acres of land in Arkansas, Missouri, Iowa, and Kansas with his warrants. Having purchased some 10,000 acres of land in unsettled West Texas at 12½ cents an acre, Tarleton decided to move there. He stopped in Waco, where he established his own mercantile. There in September 1876 he married Mrs. Mary Louisa Johnson, the wealthy widow of Telephus Johnson, with whom he lived only a year before disagreements over property division resulted in their divorce. Soon afterward a store clerk, who knew where Tarleton kept large sums of cash, reportedly tried to poison him; after recovering, Tarleton confronted the perpetrator and fired him without pressing charges. That episode influenced Tarleton's decision to move to his pasture lands in Erath and Palo Pinto counties, and in 1880 he walked the distance, carrying an umbrella and a suitcase, with his money concealed in his clothes and shoes. He settled at Santo and established a cattle ranch. After buying out the squatters who had settled there and having the land surveyed, he fenced in his 10,000 acres. Due to falling cattle prices and instances of fence-cutting by irate neighbors, Tarleton was only moderately successful as a rancher and gradually reduced his holdings, often at a loss, to 1,400 acres. Nevertheless, he remained an influential citizen and freely contributed to various church denominations. At Santo he boarded for several years at the home of Thomas White and later with George S. Williams, his ranch foreman.
In 1895 talks with J. C. George, a prominent lawyer of Stephenville, resulted in Tarleton's will, which included the endowment of a college to be located in Stephenville. In 1898 property of Stephenville College, which had operated since 1893, was transferred to John Tarleton College. In 1917 an act of the Texas legislature accepted the college as a state school, then called John Tarleton Agricultural College. In 1949 the name was changed to Tarleton State College. The John Tarleton Institute for homeless and neglected children was also established at his bequest on his property in Knoxville, Tennessee. Tarleton was plagued with poor health during his last years. He died of typhoid fever at his home on November 16, 1895, and was buried in the cemetery at Patilo. In 1926 his remains were moved to Stephenville, where they now rest in a plot adjacent to the campus marked by a suitable monument erected by the college.
Image Use Disclaimer
All copyrighted materials included within the Handbook of Texas Online are in accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107 related to Copyright and “Fair Use” for Non-Profit educational institutions, which permits the Texas State Historical Association (TSHA), to utilize copyrighted materials to further scholarship, education, and inform the public. The TSHA makes every effort to conform to the principles of fair use and to comply with copyright law.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Handbook of Texas Online, J. Thomas Davis, "Tarleton, John," accessed September 27, 2016, http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fta10.
Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.