TITCHE, EDWARD (1866–1944). Edward (Ned) Titche, philanthropist and cofounder of one of the largest department stores in Texas, was born on August 6, 1866, in Winnsboro, Louisiana, son of Lazarus and Betty (Haas) Titche. He had six brothers and sisters. While attending public schools, he worked in his parents' store. Later he continued his education in New Orleans and at an academy in Mississippi. At age fifteen he left the academy to help his father full-time, and four years later he and an older brother began a fancy grocery business in Birmingham, Alabama. Titche then went to New Orleans and for a year clerked in a department store. In 1894 he moved to Dallas to take charge of a store owned by an uncle, Aaron Titche, who had died. Edward named the store the Edward Titche Company, and later moved this store from 508½ Elm Street to Elm Street near Pearl Street. In 1902 he formed a partnership with Max Goettinger to establish Titche-Goettinger on the southeast corner of Elm and Murphy streets. In two years they moved to the then-new Wilson building near Elm and Ervay streets. In 1929 they completed a new store on St. Paul Street between Main and Elm. This grew to become one of the largest stores in the Southwest. Titche retired that year and turned to an investment business. In the 1950s the downtown store expanded into branch stores in suburban areas, and the store name was shortened to Titche's. Titche's eventually sold out to Allied Stores. Allied, which also had purchased Joskeqv's stores in Texas, changed the name of all Titche's stores to Joske's. After being purchased again in 1987, the stores became part of Dillard Department Stores, Incorporated, and were renamed Dillard's.
Edward Titche was an original member of the Citizens Charter Association that introduced the council-manager form of city government to Dallas. He became a Thirty-third-degree Scottish Rite Mason and served as a vice president of the Dallas Scottish Rite Hospital for Crippled Children. He also served on the advisory committee for Baylor Medical Center of Dallas and was on countless other medical boards, including those of Hope Cottage, Dean Memorial Home, and Bradford Hospital. He was the second life member of the Texas Congress of Parents and Teachers. The year before he died, he purchased a mansion on McKinney Avenue in Dallas and presented it to the Dallas chapter of the American Red Cross. Titche became a charter trustee of the Dallas Historical Society in 1922, and beginning in 1923 he served regularly on the board of directors of the State Fair of Texas. He was a member of the Dallas Athletic Club, the Lakewood Country Club, the Columbian Club, Temple Emanu-El, Dallas, and the Jewish Welfare Association. He never married. When he died on February 11, 1944, flags were flown at half-mast in Fair Park at the Hall of State, home of the Dallas Historical Society.
Dallas Morning News, February 19, 1944. Natalie Ornish, Pioneer Jewish Texans (Dallas: Texas Heritage, 1989). Vertical Files, Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, University of Texas at Austin.
Image Use Disclaimer
All copyrighted materials included within the Handbook of Texas Online are in accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107 related to Copyright and “Fair Use” for Non-Profit educational institutions, which permits the Texas State Historical Association (TSHA), to utilize copyrighted materials to further scholarship, education, and inform the public. The TSHA makes every effort to conform to the principles of fair use and to comply with copyright law.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Handbook of Texas Online, Natalie Ornish, "Titche, Edward," accessed December 09, 2016, http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fti13.
Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Modified on June 14, 2016. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.