TUMLINSON, JOSEPH (1811–1874). Joseph Tumlinson, early settler and participant in the Texas Revolution, was born in Tennessee in 1811 to John Jackson and Elizabeth (Plemmons) Tumlinsonqv, who moved to Texas when Stephen F. Austin began his colonization program. As a lad of twelve, Joseph was one of the rangers who tracked and punished his father's murderers. He lived with his mother on her headright until her death in 1829. In 1831 he received his own headright in Green DeWitt's colony. He located this adjoining the headright of widow Hephzibeth Taylor. In 1834 Joseph married her daughter, Johanna. They had no children. Tumlinson enrolled on September 28, 1835, as a private in Capt. Robert M. Coleman's company of rangers. He was discharged in November 1835. He reenlisted for the duration and served with the same company at the battle of San Jacinto on April 21, 1836. He was discharged on July 1, 1836, and enlisted again on July 4, 1836, in Capt. William Scurlockqv's company, San Augustine County. He later transferred to Capt. Richard Hooper's company and was discharged from this service on October 13, 1836. After Johanna's death Tumlinson married Elizabeth Newman in March 1840. They had two sons and four daughters. They settled near Eagle Lake, then moved to a ranch near Yorktown. After the Civil War Tumlinson was a local peace officer. In 1874 he was awarded a pension for his military service. He died on November 23, 1874, and was buried on his ranch near Yorktown. His widow died in 1906 and was buried near Sutherland Springs; her grave is unmarked.
Dan E. Kilgore, A Ranger Legacy: 150 Years of Service to Texas (Austin: Madrona, 1973). Samuel H. Tumlinson, Tumlinson, A Genealogy (Eagle Bay, British Columbia, 198?).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Samuel H. Tumlinson, "TUMLINSON, JOSEPH," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/ftu28), accessed July 14, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.