VAN HORNE, JEFFERSON
VAN HORNE, JEFFERSON (1802?–1857). Jefferson Van Horne, first commandant of the garrison that became Fort Bliss, was born in Pennsylvania, most likely in 1802. On July 1, 1823, he was appointed from Ohio to the United States Military Academy. He graduated on July 1, 1827, ranking thirtieth in his class of thirty-eight, and was brevetted a second lieutenant with the Third Infantry. During the first eighteen years of his military career Van Horne served in Missouri, Kansas, Louisiana, the Indian Territory, and Florida. He was promoted to first lieutenant on April 1, 1836, and to captain on December 1, 1840. Van Horne served in the military occupation of Texas in 1845 and 1846 and on recruiting duty in 1846 and 1847. During the Mexican War he saw action in skirmishes at Tolome and Ovejas in June 1847 and at Ocalaca on August 16, 1847. He was brevetted major for gallant and meritorious conduct in the battles of Contreras and Churubusco, on August 19–20, 1847, and participated in the capture of Mexico City on September 13–14, 1847. He was briefly stationed in Mississippi in 1848 before being transferred to frontier duty in San Antonio. In July 1848 Secretary of War William L. Marcy recommended the establishment of a military post on the north side of the Rio Grande, opposite El Paso del Norte (present Juárez), Mexico. Van Horne was ordered to implement General Order No. 58, and left San Antonio in late May of 1849, commanding six companies of the Third Infantry, 275 wagons, and 2,500 pack animals. Originally he had intended to head west by way of Fredericksburg, but he went instead by way of Camp Leona (Fort Inge), Castroville, Quihi, Vandenburg, and Rio Frio in order to confirm the practicality of the more southerly route explored by William F. Smith and William H. C. Whiting. Van Horne arrived in the area of present El Paso on September 8, 1849. He stationed two companies at the old San Elizario Presidio and four at Coon's Ranchoqv, designating the latter the "Post Opposite El Paso [del Norte]." Van Horne favored San Elizario as the site of a permanent military installation, in part because of the high rents charged by Benjamin Franklin Coons, but James Wiley Magoffin led a protest by the local merchants, and Capt. Thomas L. Brent of the Quartermaster Corps said that the San Elizario site was subject to flooding. The subject became moot in 1851 when federal cutbacks forced the abandonment of the Post Opposite El Paso. Van Horne and his troops were transferred to Fort Fillmore, near Mesilla, New Mexico, although a small detachment stayed behind to guard Magoffin's livestock until the autumn of 1852. The post was reestablished at Magoffinville in January 1854 and officially named Fort Bliss in March of that year. In 1849 Van Horne also found himself in the middle of a jurisdictional dispute between Texas and New Mexico. The El Paso area was part of the Ninth Military District, headquartered in Santa Fe, but was also included in Texas's proposed Santa Fe County and the Texas boundary act of 1836. Both the Texas and New Mexico governments claimed the right to collect taxes on the collection of salt from deposits in the area, and Van Horne was called upon to settle the issue. He was ordered by superiors to sustain the civil jurisdiction of New Mexico until Texas should formally assume civil jurisdiction, or until the boundary between Texas and New Mexico had been finally determined. When Robert S. Neighbors, who had been charged by the Texas government with organizing El Paso County, arrived in San Elizario in February 1850, Van Horne promptly (and no doubt gratefully) surrendered civil jurisdiction to Texas. He served on recruiting duty from 1852 to 1854, then was posted to Fort Stanton and Albuquerque, New Mexico, from 1855 to 1857. He died on September 28, 1857, in Albuquerque.
Image Use Disclaimer
All copyrighted materials included within the Handbook of Texas Online are in accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107 related to Copyright and “Fair Use” for Non-Profit educational institutions, which permits the Texas State Historical Association (TSHA), to utilize copyrighted materials to further scholarship, education, and inform the public. The TSHA makes every effort to conform to the principles of fair use and to comply with copyright law.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Handbook of Texas Online, Martin Donell Kohout, "Van Horne, Jefferson," accessed July 28, 2016, http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fva08.
Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.