VINCE, WILLIAM (?–?). William Vince, one of Stephen Austinqv's Old Three Hundred colonists, and his brothers, Allen, Richard, and Robert Vince, came to Texas in 1822 and settled in the San Jacinto River area on what was to become known as Vince's Bayou, between Harrisburg and the San Jacinto battleground. The family was originally from Georgia. William Vince received title to a league of land in what is now Harris County on July 21, 1824, and a labor of land now in Harris County on November 21, 1832. He petitioned for appointment of a surveyor in the San Jacinto District in October 1824. Evidently Vince was successful in the operation of his plantation; he sent Austin a bill for beef, corn, and servant labor in February 1826. The census of 1826 classified Vince as a farmer and stock raiser aged between twenty-five and forty; he was a single man, and his sister Susan was keeping house for him. On July 31, 1851, Nicholas Adolphus Sterne recorded receiving land certificates from the heirs of William Vince.
Eugene C. Barker, ed., The Austin Papers (3 vols., Washington: GPO, 1924–28). Lester G. Bugbee, "The Old Three Hundred: A List of Settlers in Austin's First Colony," Quarterly of the Texas State Historical Association 1 (October 1897). Louis Wiltz Kemp Papers, Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, University of Texas at Austin. Adele B. Looscan, "Harris County, 1822–1845," Southwestern Historical Quarterly 18–19 (October 1914-July 1915). Thomas L. Miller, Bounty and Donation Land Grants of Texas, 1835–1888 (Austin: University of Texas Press, 1967). "Reminiscences of Mrs. Dilue Harris," Quarterly of the Texas State Historical Association 4, 7 (October 1900, January 1901, January 1904). Harriet Smither, ed., "The Diary of Adolphus Sterne," Southwestern Historical Quarterly 30 (October 1926, January, April 1927).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."VINCE, WILLIAM," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fvi11), accessed October 09, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.