WARD, MAMIE LOUISE MCFADDIN
WARD, MAMIE LOUISE MCFADDIN (1895–1982). Mamie Louise McFaddin Ward, philanthropist, daughter of Ida (Caldwell) and William Perry Herring McFaddin, was born on November 5, 1895, in Beaumont, Texas. She was a descendant of Elizabeth and James A. McFaddin, immigrants to Texas in 1823, and William M. McFaddin, a veteran of the Army of the Republic of Texas. She attended Belle Austin Institute in Beaumont and Gunston Hall in Washington, D.C. On May 21, 1919, she married Carroll E. Ward; he died in 1962. Mamie McFaddin Ward inherited a considerable fortune from her parents in Texas ranching, rice-farming, and oil interests, including interests in the Spindletop oilfield and in coal mines and real estate in West Virginia. As a young woman she began a lifelong involvement in charity and the arts. She served for more than forty years on the board of the Beaumont Children's Home and was a founding donor to the Beaumont Art Museum and the Beaumont Heritage Society. She gave generous donations to health services, including an endowment for thirty yearly health-services scholarships at Lamar University. The Mamie McFaddin Ward Health Sciences Building at Lamar University; the Mamie McFaddin Ward Cancer Center at St. Elizabeth Hospital, Beaumont; and the Mamie McFaddin Ward Biocommunications Research Laboratory at the Texas Heart Institute, Houston, bear witness to her benevolence to those institutions. Ward established the Mamie McFaddin Ward Heritage Foundation to maintain the McFaddin-Ward House (a colonial revival house built in 1906) as a museum and to provide grants for other projects in health, education, historic preservation, and the arts in the Beaumont area. Other of her philanthropic acts included the gift of several buildings to All Saints Episcopal School; of a parking lot and meditation garden to St. Mark's Episcopal Church, Beaumont; and of a diorama to the Alamo long barracks in San Antonio. She also made gifts to the Spindletop Museum in Beaumont, the Huntington Art Museum and Trinity Church in Huntington, West Virginia, and the Episcopal Diocese of West Virginia. Ward was a member of the Daughters of the Republic of Texas, the Texas Gulf Coast Historical Association, the Daughters of the American Revolution, the National Society of Colonial Dames of America, the Kappa Delta Sorority, the Magnolia Garden Club, the Beaumont Art Museum, and the Beaumont Heritage Society. She was the recipient of the Exchange Club of Beaumont Golden Deeds award in 1981. She died in her home in Beaumont on October 24, 1982, and was buried at Magnolia Cemetery, Beaumont.
Image Use Disclaimer
All copyrighted materials included within the Handbook of Texas Online are in accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107 related to Copyright and “Fair Use” for Non-Profit educational institutions, which permits the Texas State Historical Association (TSHA), to utilize copyrighted materials to further scholarship, education, and inform the public. The TSHA makes every effort to conform to the principles of fair use and to comply with copyright law.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Handbook of Texas Online, Rosine McFaddin Wilson, "Ward, Mamie Louise McFaddin," accessed October 27, 2016, http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fwa88.
Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.