YOUNG, ROBERT BUTLER
YOUNG, ROBERT BUTLER (1828–1864.) Robert Butler Young, stock raiser and Confederate officer, was born in Spartanburg, South Carolina, in 1828. He was the son of Robert Maxwell and Eleanor Caroline (Jones) Young. In 1837 Young moved with his family to Bartow County, Georgia. In Georgia, Young attended the Georgia Military Institute. On January 12, 1853, he married Josephine Hill in Monroe, Walton County, Georgia. The couple had one daughter named Ida. By 1860 Young was residing in Texas and worked as a stock raiser in Waco. In October 1861 Young traveled to Galveston and joined the Tenth Texas Infantry Regiment as a major. On September 24, 1862, while serving with this unit in Arkansas, he was promoted to lieutenant colonel. The Tenth Texas Infantry was captured at the battle of Arkansas Post on January 11, 1863, and Young became a prisoner of war. He was moved to Camp Chase, Ohio, and Fort Delaware, Delaware, before being exchanged at City Point, Virginia, on April 29. Young had fallen ill during his imprisonment, causing him to spend the time between June and November 1863 recuperating with relations in Cartersville, Georgia. In December Young returned to service with the reorganized Tenth Infantry, which had absorbed elements of the Sixth and Fifteenth Texas Infantry regiments. During the battle of Atlanta, Young assumed command of his regiment after his superiors were wounded. Young was killed at the battle of Franklin in Tennessee on November 30, 1864. He was buried at Ashwood Cemetery in Columbia, Tennessee.
Terry Humble, "Major John AlexanderFormwalt & the Tenth Texas Infantry," Hood County Texas Genealogical Society(http://www.granburydepot.org/z/biog/formwalt.htm), accessed March 31, 2011.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Aragorn Storm Miller, "YOUNG, ROBERT BUTLER," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fyo22), accessed March 07, 2014. Uploaded on April 7, 2011. Modified on April 18, 2011. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.