ALAMO MONUMENTS. Two Alamo monuments and the Alamo Cenotaph have been dedicated to the defenders of the Alamo. The first monument, the work of an Englishman named William B. Nangle, was made in 1841 from stones of the Alamo at the suggestion of Col. Reuben M. Potter. It was ten feet high and consisted of a pyramid that rested upon a square pedestal ornamented with carved work and inscriptions. On two sides of the pedestal were escutcheons bearing the names of the men at the Alamo. For a number of years the monument was on display at various Texas cities and in New Orleans. On February 6, 1858, the Texas legislature passed an act providing for the purchase of this monument, which was placed in the vestibule of the old Capitol. After the Capitol fire in 1881, the ruins of the monument were acquired by the Daughters of the Republic of Texas and in 1950 were on display in the Old Land Office Building. In 1881 the Twenty-first Legislature appropriated funds for an Alamo monument to be erected on the grounds of the new Capitol. The monument, made from Texas granite, was built in 1891 by James S. Clark and Company of Louisville, Kentucky, and placed at the right of the main entrance of the Capitol. The foundation forms a floor nineteen feet square, which rises about two feet above the level of the ground. At each corner of this foundation is a three-foot-square marginal base. These bases support four massive polished pillars, seven feet high by two feet three inches square. These pillars in turn support arches that unite in a dome, upon which stands a typical soldier of early Texas. The whole structure is thirty-five feet six inches high. On the four columns are engraved the names of the heroes of the Alamo. Some forty names on this monument are inaccurate.
C. W. Raines, "The Alamo Monument," Quarterly of the Texas State Historical Association 6 (April 1903). Vertical Files, Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, University of Texas at Austin.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Amelia W. Williams, "ALAMO MONUMENTS," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/gga01), accessed April 17, 2014. Uploaded on June 9, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.