BISHOP'S PALACE. The Bishop's Palace, also known as the Walter Gresham House, is at 1402 Broadway in Galveston. The three-story Châteauesque residence was designed by noted Galveston architect Nicholas J. Clayton and built for attorney and legislator Walter Gresham between 1887 and 1893. It is particularly notable for its exterior of sculpted granite, limestone, and sandstone and the elaborate carved woodwork on the interior. The Catholic Diocese of Galveston-Houston bought the house in 1923, and for many years it served as the seat of the local bishop. The diocese opened the house to the public in 1963. The structure was declared a Recorded Texas Historic Landmark in 1967 and was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1970. Since 1975 it has also been included in the East End Historic District.
James Wright Steely, comp., A Catalog of Texas Properties in the National Register of Historic Places (Austin: Texas Historical Commission, 1984).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "BISHOP'S PALACE," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/ggb01), accessed July 29, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.