DAVY CROCKETT NATIONAL FOREST
DAVY CROCKETT NATIONAL FOREST. The Davy Crockett National Forest is off U. S. Highway 69 west of Lufkin and east of Crockett. The preserve, which is administered by the United States Department of Agriculture Forest Service local headquarters in Lufkin, has a total of 161,842 acres, with 94,481 acres in Houston County and 67,361 acres in Trinity County. The national forests in Texas were established by an act of the Texas legislature in 1933 authorizing the purchase of lands for the national forest system. President Franklin D. Roosevelt proclaimed these purchases on October 15, 1936. The national forests are managed on a multiple-use philosophy and are used for lumbering, grazing, oil production, hunting, and recreation. In fiscal year 1994, 93.8 million board feet of timber was harvested from the national forests in Texas, providing 2,098 jobs and $73,108,000 in income to the surrounding Texas communities. In addition, Texas ranchers with special permits could graze their cattle in the national forests. At the Davy Crockett National Forest, 386 head of cattle grazed in fiscal year 1994. Davy Crockett National Forest, which is bordered on the northeast by the Neches River, includes the 45-acre Ratliff Lake. The area is pine-hardwood woodlands with flat to gently rolling terrain. Recreational facilities at this national forest include a bathhouse, camping and picnicking areas, boat ramps, and hiking trails.
George Oxford Miller and Delena Tull, Texas Parks and Campgrounds: North, East, and Coastal Texas (Austin: Texas Monthly Press, 1984).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "DAVY CROCKETT NATIONAL FOREST," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/gkd01), accessed March 04, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.