FRIO STATE PARK
FRIO STATE PARK. Frio State Park was located on the Frio River at Interstate 35 ten miles south of Pearsall in south central Frio County. The fifty-one-acre park was utilized by the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department as early as 1925 and developed by the National Youth Administration during the 1930s. Funds for development were appropriated by the Texas legislature beginning in 1937. Facilities included a caretaker's residence, restrooms, picnic tables, grills, and camping areas. The park was generally used for daytime recreation and fishing from the banks of the Frio River. In 1960, 9,481 people used the park. After the Texas Highway Department expanded the highway adjacent to the park into an expressway in the 1960s, the park was transferred to Frio County. In 1990 the site had been reduced to a highway rest stop and was no longer a recreational or park facility.
Old Parks File, Texas Parks and Wildlife Department, Austin.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Ruben E. Ochoa, "FRIO STATE PARK," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/gkfab), accessed October 10, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.