LAKE HOUSTON STATE PARK
LAKE HOUSTON STATE PARK. Lake Houston State Park is at the northern end of Lake Houston near Interstate Highway 59 and Farm Road 1485, thirty miles northeast of Houston in Harris and Montgomery counties. In 1981 the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department bought most of the park from Champion Realty Corporation, along with 202 acres (the former Peach Creek Girl Scout Camp) from San Jacinto Girl Scouts, Incorporated, for $13.5 million, the highest price paid for Texas state park land to that date. In the early 1990s the former camp was developed into group camping facilities, and roadways and hiking trails were built. The 4,712-acre triangular park is bounded on the east by the East Fork of the San Jacinto River and on the west by Caney Creek and its tributary Peach Creek. Lake Houston State Park is considered an urban area park because of its proximity to Houston. It supports a mixture of second-growth pines and hardwoods as well as trees and fish associated with its various water bodies. In 1985 ozone pollution and high bacteria levels spurred efforts to protect the lake, which then provided 40 percent of Houston's drinking water.
Houston Metropolitan Research Center Files, Houston Public Library. Ray Miller, Texas Parks (Houston: Cordovan, 1984).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Diana J. Kleiner, "LAKE HOUSTON STATE PARK," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/gkl09), accessed August 01, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.