CENTER, TX (SHELBY COUNTY)
CENTER, TEXAS (Shelby County). Center is seventeen miles from the Louisiana border and 118 miles north of Beaumont at the center of Shelby County. In 1856 or 1857 J. C. and Margaret A. Wilson and Jesse Amason donated the land for the town. The community was involved in the Regulator-Moderator War. In an election called in January 1866 Center was voted the new county seat, but a number of people disputed the results, and no action was taken for some months. Finally, in August of that year some Center residents stole the county records and moved them to Center, thereby permanently establishing Center as the county seat. A post office opened there in 1866. Sam Weaver surveyed the community's site in 1869. In 1882 the town's frame courthouse burned, and it was replaced by J. J. E. Gibson's "Irish Castle," which still stood in the 1980s and was a popular tourist attraction. The town was incorporated in 1893. The Gulf, Beaumont and Great Northern Railway arrived at Center by 1904. Local telephone service was started in 1905 and became part of the Bell telephone system in 1915. Electrical power was available at Center by 1909. The town's growth has generally been slow and steady: its population grew from 1,684 in 1910 to 3,010 in 1940 and to 5,827 in 1980. The 1980 population tabulations showed 3,903 whites, 1,906 blacks, 5 Filipinos, and 13 Asian Indians. In the 1980s Center manufacturers processed timber and poultry products. Some tourist trade came from fishermen on Toledo Bend Reservoir. In 1985 local businesses included a newspaper, two banks, two movie theaters, two hospitals, and two nursing homes. Around that time the town also had four low-income housing projects. The Center Independent School District had an elementary, a junior high, and a high school, and there was also a private church school. Center's reported population was 4,950 in 1990 and 5,678 in 2000.
Image Use Disclaimer
All copyrighted materials included within the Handbook of Texas Online are in accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107 related to Copyright and “Fair Use” for Non-Profit educational institutions, which permits the Texas State Historical Association (TSHA), to utilize copyrighted materials to further scholarship, education, and inform the public. The TSHA makes every effort to conform to the principles of fair use and to comply with copyright law.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Handbook of Texas Online, Marleta Childs, "Center, TX (Shelby County)," accessed May 25, 2016, http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hfc05.
Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.
Get Texas history every day,
with day by day
Each day's email tells a little bit more of the story of Texas and links to our collection of more than 27,000 articles