COMANCHE, TEXAS. Comanche is located in the central part of Comanche County on U.S. highways 67 and 377. It was established in 1858, when John Duncan offered the county 240 acres on Indian Creek as a site for a county seat. The commissioners' court accepted the donation, and Ransom Tuggle was authorized to lay out the townsite. T. J. Nabors built the first house. The new town replaced Cora as county seat in May 1859. The first courthouse was a "picket house"—a structure of logs cut and split on the ground, set vertically in a ditch, and covered with boards also made on the ground. A post office was established in 1860. A newspaper, the Comanche Chief, began publication in 1873. The town, a supply base for Texas ranches during its early history, was incorporated in 1873. By 1892 Comanche had 2,500 residents, the Fort Worth and Rio Grande Railway, a daily stage, and numerous businesses. By 1915 the population was 4,500, and the town was a flourishing farm-market center and transportation center. By the close of World War II the population had grown to approximately 4,000. In 1945 a cheese plant, pecan and peanut shelling plants, granaries, and wool and mohair concerns were the chief businesses. The population was 3,832 in 1950. The city swimming pool was completed in 1953. The public library was established in 1960. That year, Comanche had a population of 3,415. In 1970 the town had a population of 3,933 and 108 businesses, mainly concerned with the marketing and processing of peanuts, fruits, and livestock. Industries produced camping trailers, air-conditioners, feeds, peanut products, and leather goods. The town has a county airport, two hospitals, several nursing homes, and a home for handicapped children. The construction of Procter Reservoirqv made possible a new water system. After 1970 a fairgrounds and high school were built. Also located in the city is the Comanche County Historic Museum, which attracts many visitors. A park is located three miles south of Comanche at Lake Eanes. In 1980–81 the town had 132 businesses and a population of 3,888. In 1990 the businesses numbered 105 and the residents 4,087. The population grew to 4,482 in 2000.
Comanche County Bicentennial Committee, Patchwork of Memories: Historical Sketches of Comanche County, Texas (Brownwood, Texas: Banner Printing, 1976). Vertical Files, Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, University of Texas at Austin.
Image Use Disclaimer
All copyrighted materials included within the Handbook of Texas Online are in accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107 related to Copyright and “Fair Use” for Non-Profit educational institutions, which permits the Texas State Historical Association (TSHA), to utilize copyrighted materials to further scholarship, education, and inform the public. The TSHA makes every effort to conform to the principles of fair use and to comply with copyright law.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Handbook of Texas Online, J. R. Eanes and Jeanne F. Lively, "Comanche, TX," accessed February 14, 2016, http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hgc13.
Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.
Get Texas history everyday,
with day by day
Each day's email tells a little bit more of the story of Texas and links to our collection of more than 27,000 articles