OYSTER CREEK, TX
OYSTER CREEK, TEXAS. A second Oyster Creek, an incorporated industrial community, is located twelve miles southeast of Angleton on State Highway 523 and the Missouri Pacific line in southeast Brazoria County. The community was established in an area first settled by Sam Hudgins and other cattlemen and later developed into cotton and sugar plantations. A Methodist mission church and a one-room schoolhouse served the area by the 1880s. The community grew between 1890 and 1894 when two brothers, known only as Horn and Horn, formed a promotion company and offered as a bonus one lot in Velasco for the purchase of five lots in the prairie along Oyster Creek. The company failed when the government prosecuted the brothers for embezzlement through the mails, sending one to prison and leading the other to cut his throat. A 1915 flood reduced the size of the community. By 1936 a church, a factory, and numerous dwellings remained at the townsite. In 1944 Oyster Creek became part of the Brazosport industrial and port area. In 1956 the town had 574 residents, six businesses, and ten churches; the population grew to 700 by 1966, but by then all the businesses had closed. The population was 600 in 1970 and 912 in 1990. By 2000 the population was 1,192.
Brazosport Facts, December 17, 1957. James A. Creighton, A Narrative History of Brazoria County (Angleton, Texas: Brazoria County Historical Commission, 1975).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Diana J. Kleiner, "OYSTER CREEK, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hjo09), accessed August 03, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.