POINT COMFORT, TX
POINT COMFORT, TEXAS. Point Comfort, at the junction of Farm Road 1593 and State Highway 35, two miles east of Port Lavaca across Lavaca Bay in Calhoun County, was established in the early 1950s. On July 11, 1953, residents voted to become the county's third incorporated city. Earl L. Ermey was elected mayor. The post office opened in 1955 with Annie Ramsey as postmaster. Many basic public facilities and improvements were built in the 1950s, including a fire station and a public swimming pool. In 1955 Mr. and Mrs. Floyd Miller organized the city library. By the early 1960s a large aluminum plant and chemical industries supported the town's economy. In 1969 Point Comfort had six churches, a school, and a public library. In 1961 the population was 1,453, in 1972 it was 1,446, and in 1988 it was 1,147. Eleven businesses were reported in 1988, and in 1990 the population was 956. By 2000 the population dropped to 781.
Calhoun County Historical Commission, Shifting Sands of Calhoun County, Texas (Port Lavaca, Texas, ca. 1980).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."POINT COMFORT, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hjp10), accessed September 05, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.