QUINLAN, TEXAS. Quinlan is on State Highway 34 four miles west of Lake Tawakoni and twelve miles south of Greenville in south central Hunt County. The site was first known as Roberts, after Texas governor O. M. Roberts, who on October 26, 1882, sold 100 acres of land in southern Hunt County to the Texas Central Railroad. This land, "situated between the South and Caddo forks on the Sabine River," served as the location of the new town of Roberts, to which the Northeastern Branch of the Texas Central built. The line was reorganized as the Texas Midland Railroad in 1886 by Hetty Green, a bondholder in the defunct railroad, and the new road extended its track northward from Roberts through Greenville to Paris by 1894. In 1892 Edward H. R. Green, Hetty Green's son and president of the Texas Midland, abandoned Roberts as a depot and established a new depot town, Quinlan, 1½ miles north of the older community. The new community took its name from George Austin Quinlan, vice president and general manager of the Houston and Texas Central Railway.
Settlers moved quickly into Quinlan. Some of the earliest, including John M. Cook and R. K. Epperson, moved their businesses from Roberts. The settlement received a post office in 1894, and by 1900 its population had reached 362. This growth, no doubt induced by the presence of the railroad, continued through the first quarter of the twentieth century. In 1904 463 persons lived in Quinlan. The number rose to 537 by 1910 and 600 by 1914, when Quinlan had twenty businesses, including a bank and a weekly newspaper. In 1925 this "retail trade center for southern Hunt, northern Kaufman and Van Zandt counties" had an elementary school, a high school, and thirty-five businesses and managed a cotton harvest of some 5,000 bales. In 1933 Quinlan had 512 residents and thirty businesses; in 1952 the population of 599 supported twenty-five businesses; in 1964 the community had 621 persons and twenty-two businesses. After the mid-1960s Quinlan grew considerably, largely due to its proximity to Lake Tawakoni. It had a population of 900 in 1976 and 1,002 in 1988, when it had fifty-one businesses. In 1990 the population was 1,360. The population was 1,370 in 2000.
Image Use Disclaimer
All copyrighted materials included within the Handbook of Texas Online are in accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107 related to Copyright and “Fair Use” for Non-Profit educational institutions, which permits the Texas State Historical Association (TSHA), to utilize copyrighted materials to further scholarship, education, and inform the public. The TSHA makes every effort to conform to the principles of fair use and to comply with copyright law.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Handbook of Texas Online, Brian Hart, "Quinlan, TX," accessed September 30, 2016, http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hjq02.
Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.