BRANCH, TEXAS. Branch is on the shoreline of Lavon Lake eleven miles southeast of McKinney in southern Collin County. The settlement was named for J. T. Branch, who operated a general store there. A post office operated at the community from 1901 until 1903, when mail was routed through nearby Clear Lake. In 1960 the population of Branch was twenty-five; in 1980 and 1990 it was estimated at 447. The population remained unchanged in 2000.
Roy Franklin Hall and Helen Gibbard Hall, Collin County: Pioneering in North Texas (Quanah, Texas: Nortex, 1975). J. Lee and Lillian J. Stambaugh, A History of Collin County (Austin: Texas State Historical Association, 1958).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.David Minor, "BRANCH, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hlb47), accessed October 07, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.