DALLARDSVILLE, TEXAS. Dallardsville (Dollardsville), on Farm Road 1276 sixty miles northwest of Beaumont in east central Polk County, was named for John J. Dollard, a young schoolteacher and doctor, who also served as postmaster after the community secured a post office in 1877. In 1888 the Dallardsville school was organized. Trustees included S. D. McNeiley, E. G. Sims, and Hardy Vickers. By 1890 the town had seventy-five residents, three churches, and a public school; cotton and wool were the primary shipments from area farmers. The community's population fell to twenty by 1925, and its post office was discontinued in 1929. Subsequent discoveries of oil and natural gas at the Segno fields to the south, however, led to new growth. The local post office was reinstated by the late 1940s, and by the mid-1960s the community's population was reported as 350. In 1983 and 1984 additional oil and gas fields were found to the north and west of town at the Dallardsville fields. In 1990 and 2000 the town's population was still recorded as 350.
A Pictorial History of Polk County, Texas, 1846–1910 (Livingston, Texas: Polk County Bicentennial Commission, 1976; rev. ed. 1978).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Robert Wooster, "DALLARDSVILLE, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hld04), accessed February 28, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.