DORCHESTER, TEXAS. Dorchester is on Farm Road 902 eight miles southwest of Sherman in south central Grayson County. It was established in the late 1800s and named for C. B. Dorchester, a Sherman banker. The community was on the St. Louis, San Francisco and Texas Railway and quickly became a retail and community center for area farmers. In 1896 it received a post office, and over the next four decades Dorchester prospered. By the mid-1930s it had an estimated 400 residents and ten businesses. Later the population declined, and in 1989 the town had 222 residents and four rated businesses. In 1990 its population was 137 and in 2000 it was 109.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.David Minor, "DORCHESTER, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hld32), accessed July 30, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.