FLOMOT, TEXAS. Flomot is on Farm roads 97 and 599 between the North Pease River and Quitaque Creek in northeast Motley County. Its name combines those of Floyd and Motley counties, since the original post office, opened in 1902, was built on the county line. The town developed with a school and store in the early 1890s. Early residents included A. J. Hudson, Clarence and Marvin Washington, Leonard Crowell, and H. D. Gilbert. In 1915 the post office was moved to W. R. Welch's home. In 1940 the town had ten stores and 200 residents. The population was 181 from 1980 through 2000.
Arthur Hecht, comp., Postal History in the Texas Panhandle (Canyon, Texas: Panhandle-Plains Historical Society, 1960). Eleanor Traweek, Of Such as These: A History of Motley County and Its Families (Quanah, Texas: Nortex, 1973).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."FLOMOT, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hlf15), accessed April 16, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.