FORSAN, TEXAS. Forsan, on Farm Road 461 in southeastern Howard County, was established in 1929, after Clayton Stewart, the first settler in the area, gave land for the townsite in 1928. The community was named for the four oil sands believed to be located nearby. Drillers later discovered they had underestimated, and there were actually at least five sands. Forsan experienced boomtown growth and by 1931 reported a population of 350, a post office, and twenty-five commercially rated businesses. In 1936 it had 400 residents. This figure remained constant through 1956, but the number of businesses dropped from eighteen to twelve. Between 1960 and 1966 the town became incorporated. By 1980 its population had fallen to 239, but Forsan retained its post office, several businesses, and its incorporated status. In 1990 its population was reported as 256, and in 2000 as 226.
John R. Hutto, Howard County in the Making (Big Spring, Texas: Jordan's, 1938).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Noel Wiggins, "FORSAN, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hlf23), accessed August 29, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.