GARDEN VALLEY, TX
GARDEN VALLEY, TEXAS. Garden Valley is at the intersection of State Highway 110 and Farm Road 16, seven miles west of Lindale in northwestern Smith County. It is on land that was originally part of the Edward B. Ragsdale survey. A post office opened there in 1852 with James S. Davidson as postmaster. By 1858 the community had a church, a Masonic hall, and an academy. The Garden Valley Common School System had been established by 1860, when the census listed three male teachers there. Postal service to Garden Valley was discontinued in 1868 and resumed in 1870. In 1878 Dr. G. W. Matthews became the local physician. By 1884 the settlement was shipping fruit and cotton by railroad from nearby Lindale. At that time, Garden Valley had 100 inhabitants, including a blacksmith, a physician, a grocer, and a teacher; it also had a gin and gristmill, two churches, a school, and two general stores. In 1889 C. W. Matthews and Company established a store there. In 1903 the town had a three-teacher school for 110 white students and a one-teacher school for thirty-five black students. In 1914 Garden Valley's population reached 300, and the community had four cotton gins, six general stores, and a telephone company. By the mid-1930s the community consisted of a small collection of dwellings, a factory, three other businesses, a church, a cemetery, and black and white schools, which served roughly the same number of students as they had in 1903. The post office was discontinued during the 1930s. Population estimates had dropped to 150 by the mid-1940s and remained at that level through the early 1990s. By 1952 the Garden Valley school had been consolidated into the Van Independent School District in Van Zandt County, and in 1959 Garden Valley had a church, a cemetery, and a few farms. In the early 1980s county highway maps showed one business there. The population in 2000 was 150.
Image Use Disclaimer
All copyrighted materials included within the Handbook of Texas Online are in accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107 related to Copyright and “Fair Use” for Non-Profit educational institutions, which permits the Texas State Historical Association (TSHA), to utilize copyrighted materials to further scholarship, education, and inform the public. The TSHA makes every effort to conform to the principles of fair use and to comply with copyright law.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Handbook of Texas Online, Vista K. McCroskey, "Garden Valley, TX," accessed April 30, 2016, http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hlg06.
Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.
Get Texas history every day,
with day by day
Each day's email tells a little bit more of the story of Texas and links to our collection of more than 27,000 articles