GERONIMO, TEXAS. Geronimo, which takes its name from Geronimo Creek, is on State Highway 123 six miles north of Seguin in north central Guadalupe County. It began as a social center for German settlers who moved to the area from Schumansville in 1860. Among them were Robert Bretzke, William Kuehne, Earnest Staudman, and August Weinert. A post office was opened in 1891, when the community had a general store, a cotton gin, and a population of twenty. In 1904 forty students attended the one-teacher school. Geronimo had two gins and 123 residents in 1945. The population was 279 in 1968 and 250 in 1990. In 2000 it reached a high of 619.
Arwerd Max Moellering, A History of Guadalupe County, Texas (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1938). Willie Mae Weinert, An Authentic History of Guadalupe County (Seguin, Texas: Seguin Enterprise, 1951; rpt. 1976).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl, "GERONIMO, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hlg13), accessed July 28, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.