HONEY ISLAND, TX
HONEY ISLAND, TEXAS. Honey Island is at the junction of Farm roads 1003 and 1293, thirty-five miles northwest of Beaumont in central Hardin County. It is on high land between Cypress and Flat Cypress creeks, which rise in heavy rain, making the site a temporary island. During the Civil War the area is said to have attracted numerous Jayhawkers, who subsisted partially on honey found in the numerous beehives there. In 1901 the Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe Railway established a station known as Matile at the site. The heavily wooded area attracted the interest of the timber industry, and by 1907 the Matile Lumber Company and the Honey Island post office had been established. By the next year the Texas Lumber Manufacturing Company was operating there. The R. A. Meyer Lumber Company bought the Honey Island mill in 1920 and sold it eight years later to the Kirby Lumber Company (see KIRBY, JOHN HENRY). The mill closed during the Great Depression, although the Civilian Conservation Corps established there in 1933 eased some of the area's economic woes. The Kirby mill reopened after the depression and reached a daily capacity of 150,000 board feet of cut timber by 1949. Having discontinued logging operations at nearby Camp Seale, the mill closed permanently in 1955.
After the mill was abandoned, Honey Island's population decreased markedly. In 1950 census figures reported 1,250 inhabitants at the community; in the mid-1980s and in 1990 its population was reported at 400. By 2000 the population was 401. Many residents who remained there after the Honey Island mill closed found jobs with the new Kirby mill in Silsbee. The site at Honey Island continued to be a noted recreational spot, with a large pool, fed by well water, drawing many area swimmers.
Aline House, Big Thicket: Its Heritage (San Antonio: Naylor, 1967). Mary Lou Proctor, A History of Hardin County (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1950).
Image Use Disclaimer
All copyrighted materials included within the Handbook of Texas Online are in accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107 related to Copyright and “Fair Use” for Non-Profit educational institutions, which permits the Texas State Historical Association (TSHA), to utilize copyrighted materials to further scholarship, education, and inform the public. The TSHA makes every effort to conform to the principles of fair use and to comply with copyright law.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Handbook of Texas Online, Robert Wooster, "Honey Island, TX," accessed February 12, 2016, http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hlh53.
Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.
Get Texas history everyday,
with day by day
Each day's email tells a little bit more of the story of Texas and links to our collection of more than 27,000 articles