HAYS, TEXAS. Hays is a residential community located on Farm Road 1626 about four miles northwest of Buda in eastern Hays County near the Travis county line. Development of the Country Estates subdivision began in the 1970s. By 1980 a town was incorporated under the name of Hays as a result of a push for incorporation by local residents. That year the population was 286. During the next two decades the population slowly declined to 251 in 1990 and 233 in 2000.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Laurie E. Jasinski, "HAYS, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hlh74), accessed July 29, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.