LAWN, TEXAS. Lawn is at the intersection of U.S. Highway 84, Farm Road 604, and the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway, twenty-four miles south of Abilene in southeastern Taylor County. In 1894 a community now known as Old Lawn was established. In 1909 the Santa Fe Railroad bypassed Old Lawn, and it quickly declined. In 1910 the new town of Lawn was established nearby, at the site that had been known as Jim Ned. The Lawn post office, still in operation in the late 1980s, opened in 1910. Lawn is part of the Jim Ned Consolidated Independent School District. The population peaked in 1929 at 650. The town had four churches and six businesses in 1986. After averaging 300 for the next sixty years, the number of residents rose to 445 in 1988. In 1990 it was 358. The population was 353 in 2000.
Juanita Daniel Zachry, A History of Rural Taylor County (Burnet, Texas: Nortex, 1980).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Debbie Mauldin Cottrell, "LAWN, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hll24), accessed August 02, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.