LONE STAR, TX (FLOYD COUNTY)
LONE STAR, TEXAS (Floyd County). Lone Star is on Farm Road 378 eleven miles north of Lockney in northwestern Floyd County. It began in 1892 as a school community. A two-story brick school building was built in 1920; it burned down in 1926 and was replaced the next year. A Church of Christ building was constructed near the school in 1922, and a year later J. A. Van opened a community store. A gas station operated at Lone Star from 1937 to 1976, and gins, a grain elevator, a beauty shop, and a Baptist church were active in l980. The school closed in 1956, when it was merged with the Lockney schools. The population in Lone Star was 125 in 1980. By 2000 the population had decreased to forty-two.
Floyd County Historical Museum, History of Floyd County, 1876–1979 (Dallas: Taylor, 1979).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.William R. Hunt, "LONE STAR, TX (FLOYD COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hll81), accessed November 30, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.
Get Texas history everyday,
with day by day
Each day's email tells a little bit more of the story of Texas and links to our collection of more than 27,000 articles