MILLER GROVE, TX (HOPKINS COUNTY)
MILLER GROVE, TEXAS (Hopkins County). Miller Grove, at the junction of Farm roads 1567 and 275, fourteen miles southwest of Sulphur Springs in southwestern Hopkins County, was probably first settled sometime in the late 1840s. Members of a family named Miller, for whom the community is named, were among the earliest residents. A Presbyterian church is said to have been organized there in 1848. A post office was established around 1869 with J. J. Hill as postmaster. By 1885 Miller Grove had a steam grist and saw mill, a district school, three churches, and a population of thirty. The population grew to more than 100 in the early 1890s, and in 1905 the Miller Grove public school had an enrollment of 114. In the late 1940s the town had two churches, three stores, a gin, a feed mill, a hardwood sawmill, and a machine shop. The Miller Grove population in 1948 was estimated as 250, and the consolidated high school had ten teachers. In the early 1980s Miller Grove had a cemetery, a sawmill, a school, two churches, four stores, and a number of scattered houses; its population in 1990 was estimated at 115. The population remained the same in 2000.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.J. E. Jennings, "MILLER GROVE, TX (HOPKINS COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hlm69), accessed July 04, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.