MILLSAP, TEXAS. Millsap is on Farm Road 113 fifteen miles west of Weatherford in western Parker County. It was originally a relay station on the stagecoach route that ran from Weatherford to Palo Pinto. A Millsap post office opened in 1877. In 1880 the tracks of the Texas and Pacific Railway reached the area, and three small communities moved to take advantage of the railroad: Mineral City, Peck City, and the Millsap relay station. By the 1890s Millsap was serving area farmers as a retail and shipping point; within a decade the town had a bank, more than a dozen other businesses, three churches, a ten-grade educational institution called Millsap College, and a weekly newspaper, the Millsap News. The community population increased from an estimated 100 in 1890 to 800 in 1920. Between 1940 and 1970, however, it declined, reaching a low of 261 by 1968. In 1988 thirteen businesses and 412 residents were reported, and in 1990 an estimated 485 residents lived there. By 2000 the population dropped to 353.
Kathleen E. and Clifton R. St. Clair, eds., Little Towns of Texas (Jacksonville, Texas: Jayroe Graphic Arts, 1982).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.David Minor, "MILLSAP, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hlm72), accessed July 04, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.