NEW TIRA, TX
NEW TIRA, TEXAS. New Tira, a farming community on State highways 19 and 154, 1½ miles west of old Tira and twelve miles north of Sulphur Springs in north central Hopkins County, was established in 1947, when Erwin Chapman built a store and gin at the site and B. C. Lawson moved his store there from Weirville. The stores later closed, and by the mid-1960s only a few scattered houses remained. In the late 1980s New Tira was a dispersed rural community.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.J. E. Jennings, "NEW TIRA, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hln12), accessed April 17, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.