NOLAN, TEXAS. Nolan, on Farm Road 126 in east central Nolan County, was established in 1928. It was formed from a consolidation of old Nolan, founded in 1897 five miles west, and Dora, five miles east. Each had stores, gins, churches, a post office (Nolan from 1892, Dora from 1888), and a school. The schools were consolidated and named Divide. The Dora post office closed in 1938. By that time the population in Dora had dwindled to twenty-five, and by the late 1940s the community had ceased to exist. In 1970, 1980, and 1990 Nolan reported a population of 131, and its post office was still functioning. By 2000 the population dropped to forty-seven.
E. L. Yeats and Hooper Shelton, History of Nolan County (Sweetwater, Texas: Shelton, 1975).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.William R. Hunt, "NOLAN, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hln22), accessed August 30, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.