PLACEDO, TEXAS. Placedo is on U.S. Highway 87 fourteen miles southeast of Victoria in Victoria County. Both Placedo Creek and the town are named for Plácido Benavides, who joined Martín De León's colony in 1828. He married one of the empresario's daughters and established a ranch in the area five years later. A settlement has existed at the site since the Republic of Texas era. The San Antonio and Mexican Gulf Railway established a station at Placedo in 1860, and in 1906 the St. Louis, Brownsville and Mexico route crossed the old line and renamed the station Placedo Junction. E. E. Pickering and John W. Henderson, owners of the land, platted the town of Placedo in 1910, added gutters and sidewalks, and recruited new citizens. The Victoria Advocate reported that "For a good many years it was a bit embarrassing to Victorians to hear that `Placedo has more sidewalks than the City of Victoria.'" A post office was secured in 1906, and by 1920 the community of 300 supported a bank, a school, a gin, a pharmacy, a hotel, and a number of other businesses. A hurricane damaged most of the town a few years later, and the estimated population decreased to 100 by 1925. Rebuilding was slow until oil and gas development started in 1935. By the 1940s the town had eighteen businesses and 400 residents. The population estimate dropped to 220 in 1949 and rose to 480 in 1964 and 515 in 1974. In 1985 Placedo had a dance hall, a gin, oil and gas production, farming and ranching operations, and an elementary school that was part of the Bloomington Independent School District. In 1990 the population was 515. The population grew to 760 by 2000.
Roy Grimes, ed., 300 Years in Victoria County (Victoria, Texas: Victoria Advocate, 1968; rpt., Austin: Nortex, 1985). A. B. J. Hammett, The Empresario Don Martín de León (Waco: Texian Press, 1973). Victoria Advocate, Progress Edition, March 10, 1963.
Image Use Disclaimer
All copyrighted materials included within the Handbook of Texas Online are in accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107 related to Copyright and “Fair Use” for Non-Profit educational institutions, which permits the Texas State Historical Association (TSHA), to utilize copyrighted materials to further scholarship, education, and inform the public. The TSHA makes every effort to conform to the principles of fair use and to comply with copyright law.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Handbook of Texas Online, Craig H. Roell, "Placedo, TX," accessed February 14, 2016, http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hlp29.
Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.
Get Texas history everyday,
with day by day
Each day's email tells a little bit more of the story of Texas and links to our collection of more than 27,000 articles