PLEASANT VALLEY, TX (WICHITA COUNTY)
PLEASANT VALLEY, TEXAS (Wichita County). Pleasant Valley is on Farm Road 367 just west of Wichita Falls in east central Wichita County. Development of the community occurred in the late 1880s, when a one-room schoolhouse that also served as a church began operating. Pleasant Valley served as a school community well into the twentieth century. The First Baptist Church was organized in 1935. As nearby Wichita Falls expanded in the late 1950s and early 1960s, residents of Pleasant Valley decided to protect their town's separate identity and avoid annexation by incorporating. On January 11, 1962, Pleasant Valley incorporated, selecting a mayor-council form of city government to serve its 200 residents. By the mid-1970s the town had a population over 300 for the first time in its history. Most residents were farmers, although a growing percentage commuted to jobs in Wichita Falls. In 1990 the population was 378. The population was 408 in 2000.
Louise Kelly, Wichita County Beginnings (Burnet, Texas: Eakin Press, 1982).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.David Minor, "PLEASANT VALLEY, TX (WICHITA COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hlp31), accessed August 28, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.