SNOOK, TEXAS. Snook is at the intersection of Farm roads 60 and 2155, some fifteen miles southeast of Caldwell in eastern Burleson County. Snook grew out of a Czech farming settlement about a mile southwest of the current town. This settlement was first called Sebesta, or Sebesta's Corner, after the Sebesta family, who were among the earliest settlers in the area (see SEBESTA, TEXAS). In 1895 the community sought to obtain a post office. John S. Snook, the postmaster at Caldwell, arranged for the post office at the nearby community of Dabney Hill to be moved to a site halfway between Dabney Hill and Sebesta. The new post office was named Snook in his honor, and Sebesta residents gradually clustered around this new community center. Telephone service reached the community about 1901, and in 1910 a lodge hall was erected for the Slavonic Benevolent Order of the State of Texas. By 1914 there were an estimated eighty residents at Snook, which at that time had two general stores, a grocer, and a blacksmith. That year a new school, called Moravia School, was built. During the 1920s, when the community had some seventy-five residents, artesian wells were dug for the town water supply. Several smaller schools consolidated with that of Snook in 1935, and in 1937 a new school building opened at the community. It became the nucleus of the Snook Independent School District in 1949. During the 1950s improved local roads provided better transportation for the community, and with the employment opportunities provided by the growth of the nearby Bryan-College Station area, Snook's population increased to 140 in 1950 and 384 in 1970. The Snook Lions Club was organized in 1967. During the 1960s the Snook school was integrated with the nearby Jones School for black students. A fire department was organized at Snook about 1970. The community was incorporated in 1972, and a city hall was completed in 1975. In 1990 Snook reported some 488 residents and five businesses. The population reached 568 in 2000.
Burleson County Historical Society, Astride the Old San Antonio Road: A History of Burleson County, Texas (Dallas: Taylor, 1980).
Image Use Disclaimer
All copyrighted materials included within the Handbook of Texas Online are in accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107 related to Copyright and “Fair Use” for Non-Profit educational institutions, which permits the Texas State Historical Association (TSHA), to utilize copyrighted materials to further scholarship, education, and inform the public. The TSHA makes every effort to conform to the principles of fair use and to comply with copyright law.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Mark Odintz, "SNOOK, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hls61), accessed February 07, 2016. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.
Get Texas history everyday,
with day by day
Each day's email tells a little bit more of the story of Texas and links to our collection of more than 27,000 articles