TRAWICK, TEXAS. Trawick, a farming community on State Highway 204 thirteen miles northwest of Nacogdoches in northern Nacogdoches County, was founded just after 1900, when the Texas and New Orleans Railroad was built through the area. The community was named for John R. Trawick, who furnished land for the townsite. A post office was established there in 1902, and a school was in operation by 1904. In 1914 Trawick had Methodist and Presbyterian churches, two general stores, a cotton gin and gristmill, a physician, a lumbermill, and an estimated population of 100. The town prospered during the cotton boom of the 1920s, and its population reached 300 by 1929. The collapse of the cotton industry and the Great Depression of the early 1930s, however, began Trawick's gradual decline, which has continued to the present. In the mid-1930s Trawick had six businesses and a population of 100. After World War II the post office and most of the remaining businesses closed. In the early 1990s only a feed mill and a garage remained. The estimated population in 1990 was 100. The population remained unchanged in 2000.
Nacogdoches County Genealogical Society, Nacogdoches County Families (Dallas: Curtis, 1985).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "TRAWICK, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hlt29), accessed October 04, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.