WALDRIP, TEXAS. Waldrip was an unincorporated rural community in northern McCulloch County twenty-two miles north of Brady and one mile south of the Colorado River. The site was part of Waldrip's Ranch when the county was organized in 1876. A post office opened in 1879, and by 1884 Waldrip had a school, a church, and thirty residents. More families came to the area in the early 1890s and began to raise cotton. Several gins were built near Waldrip, but some burned, and others were soon moved to other towns. The population fell from 264 in 1925 to 150 in 1941. The post office was discontinued sometime after the 1930s. Waldrip reported forty residents in 1961. The population was fifteen in 2000.
Wayne Spiller, comp., Handbook of McCulloch County History (Vol. 1, Seagraves, Texas: Pioneer, 1976; vol. 2, Canyon, Texas: Staked Plains Press, 1986).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl, "WALDRIP, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hlw05), accessed September 01, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.