ANDER, TEXAS. Ander, on Farm Road 1961 in northern Goliad County, was settled during the pre-Civil War German immigrations by families from Prussia, Saxony, Alsace, and Lorraine. The community was originally named Hanover after the German city and duchy. The settlers earned their livelihood from farming and raising hogs, sheep, poultry, and some cattle. Since the town was never on a railroad, freight had to be hauled by wagon from Cuero and Yorktown; turkeys were herded to market in Cuero several times a year. A general store, one of the community's most important institutions, operated under various owners from the 1860s to 1972. In time Ander had a horse-powered cotton gin, which was later converted to steam; a blacksmith shop, which became a garage and filling station in a later era; and a hospital, which operated from 1896 to 1920. A mission Lutheran church, administered by the pastor of Meyersville, was conducted in various homes until 1876, when St. Peter's Lutheran Church was established and became the first church in Goliad County and the focus of the community's life. The present structure was built in 1966.
Mail was picked up weekly at Meyersville until a post office was established in 1881 at Weser, two miles away, allowing mail delivery twice a week. In 1900 the citizens of Hanover applied for their own post office, only to discover that another Hanover already existed in Texas. They then chose the name Ander, in honor of Theodore N. Ander, pastor of the Lutheran church. The Ander post office operated until 1920, when mail was again delivered from Weser until the rural route was established in 1927.
The Ander school was conducted through the Lutheran church until 1944, when bus service to Goliad closed rural schools. The last schoolhouse now serves as the Ander Community Club. In 1914 Ander recorded a population of fifty, which decreased to about twenty by the 1930s but climbed again to about fifty in the late 1940s. In 1986 Ander had thirty residents. In 1990 it had thirty-five.
Goliad County Historical Commission, The History and Heritage of Goliad County, ed. Jakie L. Pruett and Everett B. Cole (Austin: Eakin Press, 1983).