ALMIRA, TEXAS. Almira is located at the junction of Farm roads 995 and 1399, eight miles northwest of Linden in northwestern Cass County. The area was settled before the Civil War. A post office was established there in 1886 with Elijah J. Hanes as postmaster and was discontinued in 1905. During the 1890s the settlement comprised a store and blacksmith shop and a population of twenty-five. In 1904 the community had 102 residents, but no subsequent population figures were recorded until 2000, when the population was thirty. In 1936 Almira had a school, a business, and scattered houses. By 1983 the school had been closed, and one small business was in operation at the site.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Cecil Harper, Jr., "ALMIRA, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hna55), accessed August 01, 2015. Uploaded on June 9, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.