BRITTON, TEXAS. Britton is on Farm Road 661 and the Texas Central Railroad in the northwest corner of Ellis County. It was called Hellandville when the post office was established in 1895. The name was changed to Britton in 1896. At one time the town had a bank, a school, a church, and several businesses, including an egg processing center and a grain elevator. Britton had five businesses and 300 citizens in 1925. In 1932 it had a population of 200 and seven businesses. The school closed, and the district and the mail route were divided between Mansfield and Midlothian. In 1980 and 1990 only thirty people lived in Britton. In 1990 the area produced grain crops such as maize and corn. Britton Methodist Church remained the focal point of the community. Britton Grocery Store and Farmers Supply still operated in the town. Joe Pool Lake is near Britton between Grand Prairie and Cedar Hill.
Edna Davis Hawkins, et al., History of Ellis County, Texas (Waco: Texian, 1972).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Jeffrey Pilchiek, "BRITTON, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnb79), accessed September 01, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.