BUFORD, TEXAS. Buford, at the junction of State Highway 208 and Farm Road 1982, five miles north of Colorado City in north central Mitchell County, was originally called Armenderez for an old mill located there. Later the community's name was changed to Belen and then to Buford in honor of Buford Orndorff of El Paso. The community had a post office from 1907 to 1913 but was served later from Colorado City. In 1947 Buford had a population of ninety, three businesses, two churches, and a school. Its population was reported as twenty-five in 1980, 1990, and 2000.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.William R. Hunt, "BUFORD, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnb96), accessed October 06, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.